26 March 2009

Are you talking to me?

I have been so used to an egalitarian society for so long now that I have somehow forgotten how people relate to the image of status. There is no denying that it is always under the surface but to have it blatantly flaunted in my face is another issue.

For some people it is the recognition they are craving. it is that ego boost that people remember who they are or they have reached a height of society. But the truth of the matter is that they are still relating to the facade and not the real person.

I am not sure why but at the end of the day, I am simply looking for a balance and fairness. This all came about when Shangri La here launched a new reward card. While dining there on Sunday, we were not informed about it till after the fact (at least the bill was paid!) We asked about it and were given the application form as well as the terms and conditions. Lo and Behold, one of the conditions was that the card had to be presented before the settlement of the bill.

But me being me, I asked if the the amount I just paid could be counted. The waitress initially said that it was not possible as I did not present the card before settling the bill. To her credit, she could quote the terms and condition to me word for word. But after a while, she realized that I paid for the bill with their platinum card which is under the technicalities of the law under their governance. Her tone changed instantly and she said that she would check and get back to me to see what could be done.

I rest my case. Are you talking to me or my card?

No comments: