13 August 2008

Sry

Sry about the long silence... I have been in Shanghai for a week and a half now and today is the first day I have been able to get my internet in my apartment... Well it has been such a busy time for me that I would not even know where to start...

Let's see, I arrived to a wet and humid Shanghai on the 3 Aug... Was greeted and the airport and got on the bus to get to the apartment... That was well and good.. the apartment is nice and mordern enough... But lo and behold, a few days later I suffered a flood- actually it was 2 floods... One was from the washing machine- my nice neighbour down below felt that the noise from the washing machine is not user friendly and decided to cemement up the drainage hole... So hey presto a free wash of the kitchen floor... Yup kitchen as the laundry is in there- who would be sleeping in the kitchen anyway???? 

My next flood as in the shower... the water came up and never went down as the drains were clogged... So two floods within 24 hours was just a little too much for my tiny system to bear... But grin and bear it I did...

Then it was training days and that was fun... I sat a lot that I could just feel the fat growing... But all was well once the weekend came as then I had time to shop! Things are pretty expensive here and there are a lot of creature comforts I am missing- from a simple can of soup to the ore complex breakfast cereal... I can't get over the fact that things are written in bilingual over here and it just seems so weird to me still... I am really hopeless at the script...

We had a team building session yesterday and it was The Amazing Race YCIS style... We were arranged into our "working" teams and had to race all around Shanghai basically... this gave us the chance to see the sights... See it was and my team was really out to win and we literally ran all around Shanghai - in and out of the crowds, dashing across the roads and not getting into any accidents... trust me the rule of the thumb here is never cross when it is the green man...

Oh and as part of the game we had to eat food from a different culture- It was a vegemite cracker for the Chinese teachers and a soy sauce chicken foot for us... yuck yuck yuck... that confirms it, I will never eat it again... It was foul.... Wonder why it is a delicacy??? It is just about enough to make me go vegetarian....

Hence this morning I awoke to find muscles that I didn't know existed in my body and I have legs that are so sore ... I literally had to use my hand to lift my leg so that I could sit cross legged... how bad is that???

Other than that, life is good... I will post the photos once i get them all sorted....

No comments: